Sunday, January 25, 2009

Flowers in January?

This past weekend I got a chance to hang out with a TON of other photographers. On Saturday I was with 50 other wedding and portrait photogs as it was time for our monthly get-together (check the archived posts). There's a ton of photos from that on Facebook so I'm not going to post them here. On Sunday I met up with a small group of enthusiasts that met up through DPReview, with whom I've gotten a chance to hang out with last summer at the Dulles Air and Space Museum. This time around we went to the Botanical Gardens in DC right next to the Capital Building. I wanted to share some of my favorites from the day. Also you'll be happy to know I found an excellent use for my Rayflash: as a macro ringlight! So on top of using it as a great fill-light for portraits, I'm now addicted to using it for flowers and other small details (wedding bouquets, shoes, rings, ect.). Now time for the quiz, can you guess what lenses these images were taken with? Some of these images might surprise you if I told you what lens I used, because only one of the lenses I used was designed as a macro. The answer is down at the bottom. Also the gallery with quite a few more from the day are on noahhayes.net (link)!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The two lenses used today were the 105 VR f/2.8 macro (obvious though...) and the 14-24 f/2.8!!!! That's right That lens focuses so close! The images I used the ultra-wide on were #3 and #5!

4 comments:

Natalie Franke said...

These are amazing! I love the 105mm Macro - its becoming my favorite lens. Gorgeous images!! =)

Armin DeFiesta said...

Keep that ring flash handy at our weddings =)

Noah Hayes said...

@Natalie I love it for portraits too, some of my favorite images are with this glass

@Armin It stays with me everywhere I go now. It's fantastic once you find a use for it

PaulKordon said...

Dude, your shots just get better and better. Keep posting. It makes me hate photography (cause i dont got skills yet) and love it all at the same time.