Monday, November 10, 2008

Fresh Coat of Paint...

I recently decided my main website was a little bland and I definitely hated not being able to display my images at sizes larger than 800X450 (a non-standard aspect ratio for photographs). I've decided to rebuild my site and it now supports resolutions of 1200X800 (I could set it higher, but right now most visits to the page are screen resolutions of 1280X800 and 1400X900, so most will be able to view at almost full screen!!!). The actual interface design changes a bit, but it's more of an evolution rather than a complete top-to-bottom redesign. A lot of the visual elements and color scheme stays the same, just the content and the resolution of the content changes. Also now when viewing a gallery you have the ability to view a 'thumbnails' view or email a link of any image to friends or family, which is really cool! So if you see a picture on the site you just HAVE to show someone, you can email them a link directly to the one you want them to see! (Tip of the day for Mac users: You can select a portion of the screen for a "screen shot by clicking "command-shift-4", I've been asked about that numerous times...just figured I'd fill in everyone who didn't already know)


Here I've posted a quick screenshot of the before and after, see how much empty space there was around the old one? Keep in mind these images were taken on a monitor with a resolution of 1920X1200, so your display will most likely show less empty space.


Photobucket
Look at all that empty space not being used...so bland!


Photobucket
Complete redesign, menu options on the bottom, larger display, no more boring white background!

Photobucket
Thumbnails view inside of a gallery...

Photobucket
Email pop-up window for emailing images to friends and family!


So what do you think? I hope to be finished getting everything the way I want it by the end of the day (Friday) so I can go ahead and make it live, until I do the old site will still be visible.

2 comments:

Armin DeFiesta said...

Cool layout!

Noah Hayes said...

Yeah...so I'm working on trying to get my site live now...I've already clicked the button to make it live...just waiting for the servers to switch over, could happen today or tomorrow...I got an estimate of a few hours to 2 days!