Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Goin' Bonkers for Bonzai

I was hanging out with two fellow photogs (Armin Defiesta and Peter Bang) the other day down in DC at the National Arboretum, and although it was a drizzly, overcast day, we still all had quite a bit of fun. After taking some shots out in the weather near the columns, we headed on into the Bonsai exhibit, which had some truly remarkable pieces of this amazing art form.


<span class=

I noticed some flowers growing along the base of some of the columns. Those out of focus dark spots are Peter and Armin. This shot also goes to show why sometimes LiveView on a DSLR is a nice thing to have.
Little Flowers, <span class=

<span class=

I have no idea what it says, but it sure looked important
Enter the <span class=

The Bonsai lineup along one side of the building
Billions of <span class=

Most of the flowers have yet to bloom, April showers bring May flowers!
Petals yet to Open

I told you it was wet!
<span class=

This little rock had all kinds of miniature buildings and boats all around it.
<span class=

This was a VERY small house right under those grass like leaves near the bottom of the rock pictured above.
<span class=

Peter and Armin rocking out with the 24-70 f/2.8L, Peter is also rocking a Boda lens bag!!!
<span class=

Some cherry blossoms...so difficult to figure out what you want to get out of a picture like this...literally thousands of subject to chose from!
Cherry Blossoms

This was the only dead, or at least leafless Bonsai that I saw. It was right there when you walk in, kinda caught me by surprise.
<span class=

Outside there were quite a few little fountains, this was a shot of water shooting out at 1/8000 of a second! What's crazy about that is that I still see motion blur!
Freeze Time

This was the last Bonsai I saw of the day, I thought it was cool how it looked like a whole forest in a clay pot. All the other bonsai looked just like one mini-tree.
Miniature Forest

This was my favorite picture of the day for some reason, maybe its the stone cutout in the background..I don't know, I just love it.
Zenfolio

Hope you enjoyed the photos. I look forward to spring, when all those flowers bloom!