Tuesday, September 16, 2008

iPhone Firmware 2.1

This will be a very short post, as I have to get to sleep soon, so I can wake up in time for my flight tomorrow to San Antonio (I'll be there a whopping 36 hours). I downloaded the new iPhone firmware two Fridays ago (the day it was released...what can I say, I'm an early adopter...gotta have the latest) and it has fixed nearly all my little complaints about the new 3G iPhone (I have the first iPhone too, but I waited a full 24 hours after it came out to buy it).


Before:
You could watch you battery life drain down as you used GPS on the road
With 3G turned on, the phone could barely last a full day in my pocket with frequent mail updates and txt messages constantly streaming data (not to mention twitter)
Txting was painfully slow for the first few seconds (I discovered I could type three-four sentences before the phone would input the text I typed)
Safari crashed on a regular basis if I put the phone to sleep and tried to resume reading the webpage at a later time.

Now:
I can drive for over 3 hours using the GPS AND 3G with the phone using less than 25% of the battery life on my phone. Texting is rapid and speedy just like the 1st gen hardware and software. Improved signal strength at my house (the only place I didn't have 4-5 bars before). Safari has yet to crash since the past weekend and I've only had one app crash so far.

The long and short of this all is: If you have an iPhone or iPod Touch: DOWNLOAD IT NOW, your life will be better for it. (There have been a few people online who claim this update has caused problems for them, however this is a miniscule minority and are most likely just upset the iPhone still doesn't have cut and paste)

No comments: